Saturday 7 March 2015

Serious sense of humour bypass

Whoops! It's nearly two weeks since I last reported in, a bit shoddy I know but I sort of fell out of love with this running lark!

Yes I know, I know it's only 10k but when I signed up for it I didn't realise the training was going to be so hard ........ they didn't mention strides, sprints, running like the clappers until you think you're going to expire in the small print! Bastards!

So last week was a recovery week. Images of lounging around on the sofa eating crisps and mini eggs popped into my head but it seems that, that wasn't what Coach Steph had in mind!!!

On the menu was...........

4 miles easy run

30 minute or 3 mile tempo run

30 minute easy run

By now my feet seemed to have adapted to the orthotics but then my legs and knees decided that it was their turn to ache so I was pleased that it looked like an easy week.

On Monday I did the 30 minute tempo run, well that's what I set out to do however due to my stiff knees it turned into an easy run. Afterwards I realised that because I should have run the day before but wimped out due to the torrential rain and was going to Parkrun on Saturday I was going to have to run two days on the trot, so Tuesday was the 4 miles easy run. It took a mile and a half or so for my legs to loosen up but after that it went well and I did 4.19 miles in 48.49 minutes.

During Tuesday night in bed I managed to twist my left knee, turning over  (No, I have no idea how I managed it either) so not only did I have stiff knees but also other knee pain...... if I was a horse they'd put me down!
Thursday was 30 minute easy run day and it definitely was, not only because of the aches and pains but because I was conserving my energy for a PB at Parkrun.

I was really looking forward to being back at Tamar Lakes Parkrun for the first time in a month and was aiming for a PB!!! Well, if Belinda could get one a day before her fifty second Birthday the week before, then I could get one two days before mine, surely?

God, did I struggle. My legs felt like lead and my knees were so stiff that I very nearly gave up. Sarah D left me in her wake and I couldn't find any energy to stick with her. It was only the little voice in my head saying 'you've done it before, you know you can do it, you're running the 10k for sponsorship, just get on with it' that made me drag myself along. Oh and along with the thought of copious amounts of food and wine during my Birthday week!!!!

33.15 didn't make me very happy though!




For my Birthday we spent a couple of nights away at the lovely Ring of Bells on Dartmoor. On the day itself I went for a run before breakfast, this was just so I got a run in due to a busy week and couldn't remember exactly what was on the running menu for the week but also because I wouldn't feel so bad about eating and drinking too much!!

I thought we had hills here but boy do they have them on Dartmoor!! It was beautiful though and despite intermittent GPS I ran for 30 minutes up and down hills and really enjoyed it.

The menu for the week

35 ish minute run with strides and run a mile as fast as you can

40 minute hilly run

4 mile easy pace

Ok so it was only a 30 minute hilly run but definitely equivalent to a 40 minute one here (honestly Steph)! So thats ticked off.

Now Thursday was the next time I could run and my plan was to go training with the Bradworthy running group in the evening, however Cheesemaking didn't go according to plan and meant I wouldn't be finished in time so I had to nip out late afternoon along with the old bloke on a bike and the dogs.
There was the dilemma though of which run to do ..... 4 miles would probably be a bit tight to fit in and get back to deal with the curds and whey and the 35 ish one wasn't that appealing......... The 35 ish won and was the worst choice everrrrrrr!!

Serious sense of humour bypass coming up ......

The warm up was fine but then the strides were going to be on a hill ....... Ok let's forget them and do the mile as fast as I can ......... it involved hills, it made be feel sick, It made me have a terrible attack of tourettes, it made me shout at the dogs who tried to trip me up and it made shout at the old bloke on a bike ( who didn't deserve it. ) and it made me chuck my teddy in the corner when I saw I only did it in 10.22.

At this point I was ready to kick it all into touch ....... I was so pissed off.

Yes, I know I should know where the hills are on my routes and yes with hind sight I chose the wrong run but in my defence it was all a bit last minute and rushed AND I needed to get a run in!!

Thank goodness for the little support group we've got on Facebook for this 10k training. It helps so much knowing how everyone else is getting on and thank goodness for Tamar Lakes Parkrun ...... no PB again today but the camaraderie is fantastic!

I've retrieved my teddy from the corner!!











No comments:

Post a Comment